Emanuella is the anthropometry specialist and she is responsible for the anthropometry and body composition activities in the unit.
She has a degree in Food Science and Nutrition and an MSc in Public Health Nutrition. During her first degree she had the opportunity to spend her placement year with the EPIC study (European Prospective Investigation of Cancer and nutrition) in Cambridge. After her MSc, she worked for the NGO HelpAge International in Ethiopia where she assessed the nutritional status of adults in 4 Ethiopian Ethnic group. In 2001, for of a short period of time, she worked as a nutritionist for Danone UK, offering nutritional advice and answering questions posed by the public on the possible health benefits associated with Calcium. She joined the unit (the former Diabetes Research Group) in August 2001.
In 2012 Emanuella was awarded a PhD degree in Epidemiology from Groningen University, the Netherlands. During her PhD, she developed an ultrasound method to determine abdominal fat compartments and assessed its validity in different populations; she also investigated the role of early life determinants/factors that may influence the accumulation of these fat depositions.
- De Lucia Rolfe E, Modi N, Uthaya S, Hughes IA, Dunger DB, Acerini C, Stolk RP, Ong KK. Ultrasound estimates of visceral and subcutaneous-abdominal adipose tissues in infancy. J Obes. 2013;2013:951954. doi: 10.1155/2013/951954. Epub 2013 Apr 17.
- De Lucia Rolfe E, Norris SA, Sleigh A, Brage S, Dunger DB, Stolk RP, Ong KK (2011): Validation of Ultrasound Estimates of Visceral Fat in Black South African Adolescents. Obesity 19(9): 1892-1897.
- De Lucia Rolfe E, Loos RJF, Druet C, Stolk RP, Ekelund U, Griffin SJ, Forouhi NG, Wareham NJ and Ong KK (2010): Association between birth weight and visceral fat in adults. Am J Clin Nutr 92: 347-352.
- Gradmark AM, Rydh A, Renström F, De Lucia Rolfe E, Sleigh A, Nordström P, Brage S, Franks PW (2010): Computed tomography-based validation of abdominal adiposity measurements from ultrasonography, dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and anthropometry. Brit J Nutr 7:1-7.
- Finucane FM, Sharp SJ, Purslow LR, Horton K, Horton J, Savage DB, Brage S, Besson H, De Lucia Rolfe E, Sleigh A, Martin HJ, Aihie Sayer A, Cooper C, Ekelund U, Griffin SJ, Wareham NJ (2010): The effects of aerobic exercise on metabolic risk, insulin sensitivity and intrahepatic lipid in healthy older people from the Hertfordshire Cohort Study: a randomised controlled trial. Diabetologia 53(4):624-31.
- De Lucia Rolfe E, Sleigh A, Finucane FM, Brage S, Stolk RP, Cooper C, Sharp SJ, Wareham NJ, Ong KK (2010): Ultrasound measurements of visceral and subcutaneous abdominal thickness to predict abdominal adiposity among older men and women. Obesity 18(3):625-31.
- Finucane FM, Horton J, Purslow LR, Savage DB, Brage S, Besson H, Horton K, De Lucia Rolfe E, Sleigh A, Sharp SJ, Martin HJ, Sayer AA, Cooper C, Ekelund U, Griffin SJ, Wareham NJ (2009): Randomized controlled trial of the efficacy of aerobic exercise in reducing metabolic risk in healthy older people: The Hertfordshire Physical Activity Trial. BMC Endocr Disord 19:9-15.
- Liem ET, De Lucia Rolfe E, L’Abée C, Sauer PJ, Ong KK, Stolk RP (2009): Measuring abdominal adiposity in 6 to 7-year-old children. Eur J Clin Nutr 63(7):835-841