The statistics team, led by Stephen Sharp, provides both advice and statistical leadership working across all of the Unit programmes. Key areas of science support are provided in the following ways:
- Providing timely and quality statistical advice on the design, analysis and reporting for studies, ensuring appropriate and accurate interpretation and presentation/publication of results.
- Taking the lead on statistical analysis as required by the scientific programmes.
- Developing and implementing statistical analysis plans for the primary analyses of clinical trials run by the Unit.
- Performing quality control and imputation of genome-wide data from Unit studies.
- Developing user-friendly Stata commands which link to other genetics software packages and enable Unit scientists to perform complex genetics analyses without needing to develop expertise in a large number of separate software packages.
- Contributing to the management and strategic direction of the EPIC-InterAct project
- Collaborating with statisticians and epidemiologists in the MRC Biostatistics Unit and the University of Cambridge Department of Public Health and Primary Care and elsewhere to develop and apply novel methodological approaches to data from Unit studies.
- Performing analyses of genome-wide data from Unit studies and contributing the results to research consortia.