Visa to enter the UK
Once the dates of your visit are confirmed Rebecca Stratford will send you a supporting letter which confirms that you have been accepted for a short period of study at the University of Cambridge and is required for your visa application.
Students visiting Cambridge for less than 6 months may enter on a visa for short-term study.
- Further information on the short-term study visa process can be found here.
- The visa costs £89 for a 6 month visa.
- You can apply for the visa up to 3 months before your date of travel and should get a decision within 3 weeks.
You will become a member of Wolfson College for the duration of your exchange visit. Once the dates of your visit have been agreed with your supervisors, Rebecca Stratford will check that the dates are also suitable for Wolfson College. You will then need to formally apply to be admitted as a visiting student and arrange your accommodation.
To apply for admission as a visiting student complete the application form and email it to Kim Allen (Wolfson Tutorial Office Manager), copied to Rebecca Stratford. You will also need to include the following supporting documents:
- Copy of your passport
- Reference from your supervisor including permission from your University for the exchange visit
- Photograph of yourself (as jpeg file)
- A letter of acceptance from the MRC Epidemiology Unit which can be obtained from Rebecca Stratford
- The type of room has been pre-selected for you (room type 1 or 2) to fit within the budget for the exchange visit
- The form only asks for your arrival date; the accommodation team will derive the end date from separate admissions data
- You are applying for a period license, not a term-time only license
Further information about accommodation at Wolfson College can be found here
Registering as a visiting student in the MRC Epidemiology Unit
You will also need to register as a visiting student in the MRC Epidemiology Unit. This step can be completed as soon as your application form is complete and the dates of your visit are agreed.
To arrange your registration, please send Rebecca Stratford details of your home (not Department) address in South Africa. She will then issue you with a completed student visitor letter which you will be asked to sign to say that you agree to the terms set out in the letter and the standard terms and conditions.
Personal and professional development
Living in Cambridge
The International Students Team maintain a webpage that provides information on living in Cambridge, including events, activities and travel.
Further information and queries