This one-year research degree will provide training and experience in specific epidemiology or public health research project. In addition, students will be given training in generic epidemiology or public health research skills as well as core transferable skills.
Please note that this is a research-only course. Information for applicants for the University of Cambridge taught MPhil Population Health Sciences is available here.
The course introduces students to research skills and specialist knowledge. Its main aims are:
- to give students with relevant experience at a first-degree level the opportunity to carry out focused research in the discipline under close supervision; and
- to give students the opportunity to acquire or develop skills and expertise relevant to their research interests.
By the end of the programme, students will have:
- a comprehensive understanding of techniques, and a thorough knowledge of the literature, applicable to their own research;
- demonstrated originality in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how research and enquiry are used to create and interpret knowledge in their field;
- shown abilities in the critical evaluation of current research and research techniques and methodologies;
- demonstrated some self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems, and acted autonomously in the planning and implementation of research.
Transfer from MPhil to PhD is possible although it is not automatic. All cases are judged on their own merits based on a number of factors, including evidence of progress and research potential; a sound PhD research proposal; the availability of a suitable supervisor, full funding and resources required for the research; and acceptance by the Head of Department and the Degree Committee. If your intention is to apply to continue to the PhD after completion of the MPhil, it is essential that you pass the MPhil.
Further information on course requirements, and how to apply, are available on the University of Cambridge Postgraduate Admissions website.