Home Step Test Instructions
During the next 8 days (whilst you are wearing the chest-worn monitor) please try to complete a step test at home, as described to you at your visit.
The step test will last a maximum of 8 minutes and will involve stepping up and down on a step in time with the voice prompt. The stepping speed will gradually get faster over the test.
Please read all the instructions below before starting the test.
Preparation for the test:
(You can download this file (right click –> save link as) or alternatively this can be played directly from this link when you are ready to start).
- Find a suitable step between 15cm-23cm (6inch-9inch).
- Measure the exact height and record this on your instruction sheet.
- Ensure you are wearing comfortable flat shoes, remove all loose items from your pockets and have a chair ready to sit down on afterwards.
- Please ensure another adult is present during the test. They will be able to give you feedback to ensure you are keeping in time with the voice prompt during the test and can record the starting time of the test for you.
Before starting the test:
- Stand still and quiet in front of the step for at least 1 minute prior to starting step test.
- You will need to record the time and date the step test starts on your instruction sheet.
During the test:
- When you start the audio file, after the 5 sec countdown, step in time with the “up, up, down, down” voice prompt.
- When stepping ensure you:
- Place your whole foot on the step each time.
- Keep your arms in a natural position; the same as you would have them were you walking up stairs.
- Refrain from talking during the test.
- Continue stepping for the 8 mins (until the voice prompt stops).
- If you feel any discomfort or are unable to complete the test please stop the test.
- Sit down immediately when you finish your test and remain still with no talking for 2 minutes recovery (please time this approximately).
- Note down the time when you finish your recovery on your instruction sheet.
If you have any questions please call the team on 01223 769222.
Biobank Validation Study Participants: Please return your instruction sheet along with your monitors at your next visit.