Head of Communications & Knowledge Exchange
Oliver leads on communications and knowledge exchange across the MRC Epidemiology Unit & the Centre for Diet and Activity Research (CEDAR). He is responsible for traditional and social media outputs, and works to promote knowledge exchange between researchers, practitioners, policymakers, and other groups. The goal is that the groups’ evidence can be used to develop, improve and evaluate policy and practice, and continue to be guided by the population needs of public health, wellbeing and sustainability.
- Find out more about our policy and practice work here.
- For media enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / +44 (0)1223 769148
Background and experience
Before taking on his current role across the MRC Epidemiology Unit and CEDAR, Oliver was Knowledge Broker for CEDAR, leading on communications and work with policy and practice. Prior to joining CEDAR, Oliver was Head of Internal and Corporate Communications at Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust. In his time there he worked across a number of communications disciplines: press and PR, stakeholder relations, internal communications, web and social media. He was also a member of the Trust’s service improvement team, safety awareness action group, and was involved in policy and governance development. In 2007-8 he was seconded to the NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement. Previously, Oliver worked as a researcher for television documentaries and in feature film development, and continues to work as a freelance writer.
- Katherine Cullerton, Jean Adams, Nita Forouhi, Oliver Francis, Martin White. What principles should guide interactions between population health researchers and the food industry? Systematic scoping review of peer‐reviewed and grey literature. Obesity Reviews https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12851
- Monsivais P, Francis O, Lovelace R, Chang M, Strachan E, Burgoine T. Data visualisation to support obesity policy: Case studies of data tools for planning and transport policy in the UK. International Journal of Obesity 2018. PMC:6291420 https://dx.doi.org/10.1038%2Fs41366-018-0243-6
- Van Der Graaf, Peter; Francis, Oliver; Doe, Elizabeth; Barrett, Eimear; O’Rorke, Michael; Docherty, Graeme. Structural approaches to knowledge exchange: comparing practices across five Centres of Excellence in Public Health. Journal of Public Health 2017 PMID: 29538725 https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdx150