Population Health Interventions
Current work and interests
Jody strongly believes that adjustments to the environment can promote healthy living, and in turn prevent obesity and chronic diseases. Therefore, during her post-doc she will be focussing on the interplay between individual and environmental characteristics related to diet and physical activity behaviours. She will mainly be conducting secondary data analyses.
Background and experience
Jody completed her Bachelor and Master in Health Sciences (2013-2017) at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, the Netherlands. She was taught that by tackling upstream factors such as social disadvantage and social inequities, we can improve health and diminish health disparities.
Her PhD project was embedded in the Supreme Nudge project. This project aimed to reduce cardiometabolic risk among individuals with a low socioeconomic position by implementing nudging and pricing strategies in supermarkets across the Netherlands. Jody’s PhD focussed on identifying factors that could explain socioeconomic inequalities in dietary behaviours. Furthermore, she investigated the effectiveness and equity of nudging and pricing strategies in a virtual supermarket.
She is also a part of a research network focusing on environmental determinants of physical activity, dietary behaviours and chronic disease risk called the Upstream Team.
- Google scholar publications and profile
- Hoenink JC, Mackenbach JD, Waterlander W, Lakerveld J, van der Laan N, Beulens JW. The effects of nudging and pricing on healthy food purchasing behavior in a virtual supermarket setting: a randomized experiment. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2020 Dec;17(1):1-2.
- Hoenink JC, Stuber JM, Lakerveld J, Waterlander W, Beulens JW, Mackenbach JD. The effect of on-shelf sugar labeling on beverage sales in the supermarket: a comparative interrupted time series analysis of a natural experiment. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2021 Dec;18(1):1-1.
- van der Molen AE, Hoenink JC, Mackenbach JD, Waterlander W, Lakerveld J, Beulens JW. Are nudging and pricing strategies on food purchasing behaviors equally effective for all? Secondary analyses from the Supreme Nudge virtual supermarket study. Appetite. 2021 Dec 1;167:105655.
- Hoenink JC, Mackenbach JD. Commentary: Addressing unfair and preventable inequalities in cancer. International Journal of Epidemiology. 2021;1:3.