Head of Communications & Knowledge Exchange
Work and interests
Oliver leads on communications and knowledge exchange for the MRC Epidemiology Unit. He is responsible for traditional and social media outputs, and works to promote dialogue between researchers, practitioners, policymakers, and other groups. The goal is that the our evidence can be used to develop, improve and evaluate policy and practice, and continue to be guided by the population needs of public health, wellbeing and sustainability.
- Find out more about our policy and practice work here.
- For media enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / +44 (0)1223 769148
Background and experience
Before taking on his current role across the MRC Epidemiology Unit and CEDAR, Oliver was Knowledge Broker for CEDAR, leading on communications and work with policy and practice. Prior to joining CEDAR, Oliver was Head of Internal and Corporate Communications at Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust. In his time there he worked across a number of communications disciplines: press and PR, stakeholder relations, internal communications, web and social media. He was also a member of the Trust’s service improvement team, safety awareness action group, and was involved in policy and governance development. In 2007-8 he was seconded to the NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement. Previously, Oliver worked as a researcher for television documentaries and in feature film development, and continues to work as a freelance writer.
- Peter van der Graaf, Oliver Francis, Eimear Barrett & Graeme Docherty. Challenges in Comparing Knowledge Exchange Practices Across Five Centres of Excellence in Public Health Research. Sage Research Methods (2020) https://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781529709933
- Cullerton K, Adams J, Forouhi N, Francis O, White M. What principles should guide interactions between researchers and the food industry? Systematic scoping review of peer reviewed and grey literature. Obesity Reviews (2019) https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12851
- Cullerton K, Adams J, Forouhi N, Francis O, White M. Building consensus on the governance of relationships between dietary public health researchers and the food industry: two stage, online, international Delphi study and a stakeholder survey. PLOS ONE (2019) https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0221250
- Van Der Graaf, Peter; Francis, Oliver; Doe, Elizabeth; Barrett, Eimear; O’Rorke, Michael; Docherty, Graeme. Structural approaches to knowledge exchange: comparing practices across five Centres of Excellence in Public Health. (2017) Journal of Public Health. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdx150
- Monsivais O, Francis O, Lovelace R, Chang M, Strachan E, Burgoine T. Data visualisation to support obesity policy: Case studies of data tools for planning and transport policy in the UK. International Journal of Obesity (2018) nature.com/articles/s41366-018-0243-6
- Esther M.F. van Sluijs and Oliver Francis. A Story Lost in Translation—or a Cautionary Tale? Journal of Physical Activity and Health (2015) http://dx.doi.org/10.1123/jpah.2015-0433