Rahul was a Research associate with the Public Health Modelling group at CEDAR, who left the Unit in June 2019.
Rahul completed his PhD at the Transportation Research and Injury Prevention Programme at the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi. With a transport planning background, Rahul developed methods of data collection and modelling to estimate public health burden of transport, with Delhi as a case study. His main thesis outputs include a) data collection and statistical methods to estimate vehicular characteristics of on-road modes, b) dynamic bottom-up traffic emission inventory model, c) on-road exposure of PM2.5 pollution in 11 transport modes in Delhi, and d) space-time integrated PM2.5 exposure assessment at population level.
Rahul is currently working on TIGTHAT project, which will lay the scientific foundations of a health impact assessment tool that will estimate health impacts of transport choices applicable in a wide variety of urban settings around the world. Within this project, he is a) testing the use of Google Street View to estimate travel patterns, b) analysing road traffic injuries in low- and middle-income settings, and their association with travel patterns, and c) studying how cycling behaviour varies across cities in the world.
- Elvik, R. Goel, R. (2019) Safety-in-numbers: An updated meta-analysis of estimates Accident; analysis and prevention, 129, 136-147
- Goel, R. Garcia, L.M.T. Goodman, A. Johnson, R. Aldred, R. Murugesan, M. Brage, S. Bhalla, K. Woodcock, J. (2018) Estimating city-level travel patterns using street imagery: A case study of using Google Street View in Britain PLOS ONE Published online on May 02 2018
- Goel, R. (2018). Modelling of road traffic fatalities in India. Accident; analysis and prevention, 112, 105-115.
- Aldred, R. Goel, R. Woodcock, J. & Goodman, A. (2018). Contextualising Safety in Numbers: a longitudinal investigation into change in cycling safety in Britain, 1991–2001 and 2001–2011. Injury Prevention. doi: 10.1136/injuryprev-2017-042498
- Goel, R. Jain, P. & Tiwari, G. (2018). Correlates of fatality risk of vulnerable road users in Delhi. Accident Analysis and Prevention. Vol. 111, 86-93. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2017.11.023
- Goel, R. Gani, S. Wilson, D. Guttikunda, S.K. & Tiwari, G. (2015). On-road exposure of fine particulate matter in multiple transport micro-environments in Delhi. Atmospheric Environment. Vol. 123 (A), 129-138.
- Goel, R. & Guttikunda, S. K. (2015). Evolution of on-road vehicle exhaust emissions in Delhi. Atmospheric Environment. Vol. 105, 78-90. doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2015.01.045
- Goel, R. Guttikunda, S. K. Mohan, D. & Tiwari, G. (2015). Benchmarking vehicle and passenger travel characteristics in Delhi for on-road emissions analysis. Travel Behavior and Society, Vol. 2, No. 2, 88-101. doi: 10.1016/j.tbs.2014.10.001
- Guttikunda, S. K. & Goel, R. (2013). Health impacts of particulate pollution in a megacity—Delhi, India. Environmental Development, Vol. 6, 8-20. doi: 10.1016/j.envdev.2012.12.002